Humans, gather around, for I have glad
tidings. This blog, this one you’re reading, this post right here is the ONE
HUNDREDTH entry on Hum Drum Plum. This is the 100th time I have
posted something on this little blogger site, the 100th rambling
missive from my brain to your eyes. And I am just so excited, so proud, so in
love with you for reading even just 1, or 20 or maybe all 100 blogs, that I’ve
written you a list of all the things that would not have happened if Hum Drum
Plum didn’t exist.
1.
I wouldn’t have written 100
blogs. Duh.
![]() |
| Ok perhaps I still haven't written 100 blogs - sue me. |
2.
Most importantly, I would never
have “mastered” the art of paintbrush. Look at that banner up there. Just look
at the artistry.
3.
But I guess on another note, there
would not be a folder on my computer filled with tens of thousands of words. I
have written more for this blog than for anything else. There’re probably
enough words in that folder to fill a novel. Oh.
4.
I would not have learnt how to
write to a deadline. Or rather, I would not have learnt how to panic about a
deadline that has just passed while simultaneously lying on a couch and
moaning. This, I believe, is known as “the writers’ repose”.
5.
I would never have filmed avlog and put it on youtube. The world would be a poorer place.
6.
I would not know the joy of
having a stranger follow you on twitter because
they want to read things you say, as opposed to because they want to sell you porn videos.
7.
My friends would never have had
to endure hearing a story they already know, or the uncomfortable conversations
that follow. “Yeah… I think you might’ve blogged about this…” is probably one
of the more awkward phrases to hear mid-story.
8.
I wouldn’t have a tumblr. Can
you imagine the impossibly large number of Sherlock gifs I would have missed
out on?
9.
I wouldn’t have gone to TiNA.
10. Therefore, I probably wouldn’t be friends with a number of really
excellent people that I love.
11. I would be a heaps shitter writer.
12. I wouldn’t have crippling self doubt.
13. I wouldn’t have learnt how to just write something in the face of
crippling self-doubt, even if it’s a little bit shit.
14. I wouldn’t feel ok to call myself a writer.
15. I would not have submitted to a bunch of places for publication,
knowing that the link at the end of my email would lead editors and publishers
to a solid body of work, with weaknesses and flaws, but that I felt confident
enough in to show to people who write for a living.
16. “Bloggeroos” wouldn’t be a word that I tried to make a thing.
17. You would never have learnt some of the deep shit I just think about
like all the time.
![]() |
| ~~~Poetry~~~ |
18. I wouldn’t “know how” (read: struggle immensely) to edit a blogger
site. A skill that will surely lead me
on to big things in the future.
19. On that note I would never have discovered the pain of running a
small fan page in the unchartered backwaters of the unfashionable end of
Facebook.
20. And now the obvious stuff, I wouldn’t have…
made a soufflé
sent something off to Post Secret
seen a sunrise
gone rock climbing
learnt how to do a handstand
run the Bridge to Brisbane
… or any of the
other stuff that happened during the “challenge” phase of my blog
21. Finally, my life would be just that
little bit worse for not having you in it. Whether you’re a long time reader, a
lurker, a flagrant facebook sharer or a random spam viewer from Russia, all of
you, even the Russians, have given me so much strength, inspiration, laughter
and joy. If you’ll forgive the sentimentality a moment, you are the only reason
I haven’t thrown the whole thing in about 27 times and the reason I hold myself
to a higher and higher standard every week. You’re the best. Thanks for
sticking with me for 100 posts of varying degrees of quality. Thanks for
reading.



No comments:
Post a Comment