![]() |
| Anatomy of 50% of a Hipster |
Hipsters, what even are they?
When I was a teenager, the dominant
non-mainstream mainstream culture was Emo. Everything was a little bit Emo,
from Emos themselves, to TV shows, to music, to the kind of clothes they sold
at Supré.
And now it’s Hipsters. You can buy really
cheap, crap vintage-esque clothes from Supré, and all the cool music is kinda Folky. It’s just unfortunate
because one of the main strongholds of the Hipster culture is that it’s about
being into stuff before other people discovered it, which is tricky considering
we are all, now, in a small way, a total Hipster.
You might think you’re not a hipster, but
you are. And the best bit? If you think you’re not, if you think you’re cooler
than the mainstream… THAT MAKES YOU A HIPSTER. It’s an awful, hilarious, cycle
of sockless feet and doom.
The Hipster Culture is really good for
people like me. There have been AT LEAST a hundred occasions where I have left
the house with the thought “oh Jesus I
can’t be seen in this cardigan that I bought 8 years ago from Target, it has
giant buttons and mismatching patterns OH NO WAIT that kind of shit is cool now
phew”. Like, the actual Hipster
Culture is for cool kids, for people who like to be on the front line of new
things and fashion and shit like that. BUT I think the real reason it has taken
off so hard is that it allows for a lot of not so cool people, like me, to
sneak in there through the cracks in our ugly, comfy clothes. I really like wearing handmade brooches, have
done for some time, apparently that’s cool now. Also, I always wanted to buy
vintage dresses because I thought they looked nice, but I was too chicken. NOW it’s
a cool thing to do and I can get away with it really easily, and people compliment
me on my dowdy, mega-super-comfy, really cheap dresses that I secretly only
bought because they had pockets.
Meanwhile, Hipsters are reviving lots of
90s stuff WHICH IS GREAT because it’s basically just nostalgia town for people
who grew up in the 90s. Like it’s cool to be into Pokemon again, and it’s cool
to love silly movies and it’s cool to wear Disney clothes and it’s cool to go
to Hanson concerts. So basically, all of us sneaky hipsters don’t actually have
to try that hard to be cool. We just have to reminisce for a moment and then
we’re super awesome.
I’m just looking forward to the time when
it’ll be Hipster to be Emo. DOMINANT NON-MAINSTREAM MAINSTREAM INCEPTION.

No comments:
Post a Comment