Wednesday, September 7, 2011

It's hard out here for a nerd

Oh lordy is it hard out here for a nerd at the moment. There is so much nerd glory in my life I’m running out of time for things like eating and sleeping. Let me fill you in…

Doctor Who  (no spoilers for “Night Terrors”)
For the first time since becoming a Doctor Who fan, I am watching episodes with other fans. That is to say that no one else knows anything more than I do, and I have to wait! Oh Moffat* do I have to wait! I’m really enjoying it though, I thought it would be agonising, but actually it just makes it feel all the more exciting. Dissecting each episode after it comes out with fellow Who-fiends, many of whom are only into it because I wouldn’t shut up about it near them, is the best! After 2 viewings, I feel pretty great about “Let’s Kill Hitler” – so many answers! So many new questions! I absolutely adore Alex Kingston and Matt Smith is ever more owning the role and making it amazing. I am hoping that Season 7 will be the Doctor and River. I do love Amy and Rory, don’t get me wrong, but I feel like their time is coming to an appropriate end. Hopefully Rory will only have to die one or two more times – a body can only take so much.

Game of Thrones
Just got into this. It’s the best fucking thing. One episode to go. No one tell me how it ends or I’ll fight you. Holy Moffat is this show amazing. I can’t even… form logical sentences about it, particularly because of how episode 9 just ended. You know what? I can’t even write about this at the moment, but here, laugh uproariously at this image, as I did.

Torchwood: Miracle Day (STOP. Rant time. There will be many spoilers. ALL the spoilers for all seasons ever.)
So I’m only watching Torchwood due to some sort of perverse desire to torture myself now. I feel like it still deserves it’s place in my nerdblog because 1. It’s Torchwood, 2. I have a strong loyalty to Captain Jack, who I am pretending is TRAPPED in this terrible story line and can only be RESCUED by my staring at him and wishing a lot, 3. I am devoting a lot of energy to caring about it, because I am a nerd.

WHAT IS GOING ON TORCHWOOD? Firstly, Jack is not gay, and by making him ‘act’ gay you have kind of ruined the whole point, which is that his sexuality is fluid, flexible and not a defining feature of his character. Or rather, the fluidity is a defining feature, but no 21st Century category is. Now, I have no issue with the 1920s love story/back story with Angelo… it was sort of sweet and interesting. Well it was, until it suddenly had little to nothing to do with the plot. Also the bit where Jack gets all uppity because Angelo has an issue with the idea of two men loving each other could have been saved with one extra sentence. Jack says something like “god forbid two men could love each other!” and all that needs to be added is “trust me, where I come from you can marry an eight-tentacled creature from Zerk, if you want, which you wouldn’t.” That’s something the REAL Jack would have said. Also Jack fucks some random guy from a bar but Ianto gets cock blocked by tinned beans and then dies? Are you serious?

Secondly, there are no aliens. This is Torchwood, outside the government, beyond the police, tracking down ALIEN LIFE ON EARTH and….  Need I go on? I want aliens.

Thirdly, is this not the same time stream as say… Amy and Rory’s? Did they just casually forget to mention to The Doctor that no one can die and governments are burning people alive and also everything is a police state and there are terrible storylines running rampant through the streets of America? This is one of the reasons I am holding on, I am watching in the vain hope that this will somehow be explained, I don’t even care if it’s a Russell T Davies ‘woops never mind it actually happened like this’ switcheroo special.

Phew, now I’m angry. Better finish with…

POTTERMORE

You KNOW I got early entry. So, so exciting! I have been all over the first book and there are so many things to discover! It very much has a great J. K Rowling feel. It’s a like a super mega version of how her website used to be (/is still?). One of my favourite things was the story of how Petunia and Vernon met, and better yet how shit went down when they had dinner with Lily and James. Also reams and reams of wand lore, one of my special interests.

Exciting News: I’m a Gryffindor!

More exciting news: Microsoft Word not only recognises the word Gryffindor, it autocorrects it to have a capital G.

I’m really, very happy with my wand also, it’s 14 and a half inches, which is exceedingly long… this might be because I am tall but also (I hope) because according to Ollivander’s wand lore, big personalities and great witches/wizards often have long wands.

Go on, have a little snigger about my “long wand”, you’ll feel better and no one can judge you, you’re probably home alone, eating nutella and writing a blog about your nerdy fucking life. No wait… that’s me.






*I now use Moffat in place of the word god… in Moffat we trust.

P.S No challenge last week… obviously, but there’s a big one this week! Get excited! If you want.
P.P.S If you want to be my friend on Pottermore (and you do) I'm NifflerSand142

No comments:

Post a Comment